When talking about power moves that give you a total boost in mind, body, energy, and spirit, there is one move I ALWAYS come back to: The Magnet.
The Magnet is truly one of my very FAVORITE moves. The Magnet is a move I was introduced to when I first started practicing Naam Yoga. The purpose of Naam Yoga is to heal one’s physical body while simultaneously expanding one’s consciousness, so all the movements incorporate energetic and physical aspects.
I do The Magnet daily as part of my morning routine. Not only is it a full body workout in one move that invigorates and energizes you inside out from head to toes, but I have discovered it works dramatically on lifting brain fog and enhancing mental clarity. I came across this benefit by accident as I began practicing this move in a daily basis. One morning I was tired and going through my routine. I noticed after about 2 minutes of the magnet that if felt like a veil or the fog just lifted from my brain. I felt alert and totally energized by the time I was done! I began experimenting with it to see if indeed the magnet was producing these results consistently by measuring my mood before and after practicing it each day. The answer was an emphatic YES!
I challenge you to give it a try!
How to do The Magnet:
The Magnet is a timed move. You can begin with 30 seconds and actually work up to 10 minutes (I normally do about 3 minutes). You can sit in a chair or stand, whatever works best for you.
In the chair:
- Sit up tall towards the edge of your set. Legs are wide apart to help with your stability and toes slightly tuned out.
- Engage your core, glutes, and legs – squeeze those muscles tightly.
- Fingers wide, not stiff, reach your arms down and back behind you with your palms facing forward.
- Now bring your arms back up and in front of your face as it you are holding onto a beach ball.
- Repeat this movement with the arms, inhaling as the arms go back and exhaling to the front.
- If you wish, at the same time your arms come forward, lift your heels off the ground.
- Stand in a wide stance – toes turned out. You will be going down into a plie squat so please make sure your stance is wide enough so that your knees do not go out past your toes as you squat down.
- Stand up tall with your core, glutes and legs engaged – squeeze those muscles tightly.
- Fingers wide, not stiff, reach your arms down and back behind you, with your palms facing forward.
- Now plie, bending your knees as the arms go back. It’s kind of like a squat except make sure your bottom drops straight down instead of arcing out behind you.
- Now bring your arms back up and in front of your face as it you are holding onto a beach ball. Squeezing those glutes, slowly come back up out of the plie as your arms come to the front.
- Repeat this movement, inhaling as you plie’ and the arms go back and exhaling as you come up and arms to the front to the front. You may go at the pace that works for you.
Now this is not only a physical move, but it works energetically as well. When you take your arms back, see your self gathering all of the good things you want to see happen in your life. As you bring your arms forward, now you are bringing them into focus in front of your mind, and you are SMILING…because you can visualize them coming to life. When your arms are moving back behind you, you are clearing the obstacles that would prevent good from happening. I always feel more energized and positive after doing The Magnet.
Here are some other amazing benefits of The Magnet:
- It’s a full body workout
- Lifts brain fog & provides mental clarity
- Creates a strong foundation and stability
- Strengthens the lower body & core
- Improves balance
- Expands your electromagnetic field
- Boosts circulation
- Increases oxygen levels in the body
- Increases stamina
- Reduces high blood pressure
- Helps to combat heart disease
- Helps balance blood sugar
- Improves sexual performance
- Helps to relieve back pain
If you are just starting your fitness journey, but don’t know where to start, I would recommend starting with The Magnet! Leave me your questions and let me know how it goes in the comments!