This is one topic that we don’t hear about much.
We hear all the time how important it is to exercise as we age. It keeps us healthier longer and has proven to reduce many negative effects that come with aging, such as keeping our muscles strong, helping our cholesterol levels stay low, and improving our bone health.
However, there are some key tips we should keep in mind as we age. I always stress these in my classes, as they make a big difference to making sure we enjoy our workout and stay safe while doing it.
- Always have fun and enjoy how you are moving. This is so important – if we enjoy what we are doing, we will look forward to it and do it more often, and moving is KEY to staying healthy!
- Always warm up before working out. This protects us from injuries during our workout. I’ve included some quick and easy warmups in the video below.
- Make sure you are aligned properly. So important to keeping our bodies protected during exercise!
- Protect your joints by never locking them but keeping them soft.
- Remember to breathe. This makes exercise so much more manageable!
Here’s a quick video that gives you examples of each of these. I’d also love to hear your tips for exercising – let me know your tips and questions in the comments below!